ReaderBench – Automated Assessment of Participation and Collaboration in CSCL Conversations
As Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) gains a broader usage, the need for automated tools capable of supporting tutors in the time-consuming process of analyzing conversations becomes more stringent. Therefore, starting from dialogism and a cohesion-based model of discourse, we have developed two computational models for assessing participation and collaboration. The first model is based on a cohesion graph and can be perceived as a longitudinal analysis of the ongoing conversation, thus accounting for collaboration from a social knowledge-building perspective. In the second approach, collaboration is regarded from a dialogical perspective as the intertwining or synergy of voices pertaining to different speakers, therefore enabling a transversal analysis of subsequent discussion slices.
- The validation of new automated models used to evaluate participation and collaboration in CSCL convesation (e.g., chats, forums, blogs)
- Trausan-Matu, S., & Dascalu, M. (2015). Visualization of Polyphonic Voices Inter-animation in CSCL Chats. Revista Romana de Interactiune Om-Calculator, 8(4), 305–322.
- Nistor, N., Dascalu, M., Stavarache, L. L., Tarnai, C., & Trausan-Matu, S. (2015). Predicting Newcomer Integration in Online Knowledge Communities by Automated Dialog Analysis. In Y. Li, M. Chang, M. Kravcik, E. Popescu, R. Huang, Kinshuk & N.-S. Chen (Eds.), State-of-the-Art and Future Directions of Smart Learning (Vol. Lecture Notes in Educational Technology, pp. 13–17). Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag Singapur
- Nistor, N., Dascalu, M., Stavarache, L. L., Serafin, Y., & Trausan-Matu, S. (2015). Informal Learning in Online Knowledge Communities: Predicting Community Response to Visitor Inquiries. In G. Conole, T. Klobucar, C. Rensing, J. Konert & É. Lavoué (Eds.), 10th European Conf. on Technology Enhanced Learning (pp. 447–452). Toledo, Spain: Springer.
- Dascalu, M., Trausan-Matu, S., McNamara, D.S., & Dessus, P. (2015). ReaderBench – Automated Evaluation of Collaboration based on Cohesion and Dialogism. International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, 10(4), 395–423. doi: 10.1007/s11412-015-9226-y
- Repository: https://git.readerbench.com/ReaderBench/ReaderBench
- Release: https://git.readerbench.com/ReaderBench/ReaderBench/tags
- Online demo: http://readerbench.com/demo/cscl
- User documentation: http://readerbench.com/docs/cscl/manual
- Design: http://readerbench.com/docs/cscl/sdd